Today NYPD Police Commissioner, Ray Kelly, gave details about a possible suspect that ran from the scene, the content of the suspicious vehicle, and information about various claims by Taliban and others who are apparently trying to take credit for yesterday’s failed bombing attempt in Times Square. From WCBS 2 TV today:
A group that monitors militant websites had said the Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility for the SUV bomb, which didn’t explode.
The NYPD is checking surveillance cameras around Times Square Sunday as they search for suspects in the car bomb scare. “We’re in the process of identifying additional cameras which may have captured images of the vehicle and more important, people seen driving or leaving the vehicle,” said NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly.
The FBI is also involved in the investigation.
All City cops whose shift was supposed to end at midnight were kept on the job overnight, and checks were conducted in the outer boroughs for any suspicious activity that might be related to the incident.
Police also said the license plate on the rear of the SUV did not belong to the vehicle, rather it was traced to a man who said it was on a car that he left at a junk yard.
Later on in the press conference, Kelly answered a question from a reporter whether or not they can rule out that this may have had something to do with the Jihadist threats against South Park creators, Matt Stone and Trey Parker. From the London Telegraph:
The device, which failed to detonate, was left near the offices of Viacom, which broadcasts the provocative cartoon series on its Comedy Central network.
Last month a posting on an Islamic website warned South Park’s creators, Matt Stone and Trey Parker, that they could face violent reprisals after an episode shown on April 14th featured Muhammad in a bear suit.
Let’s hope this event helps the Obama administration return their major focus to national security, which is our greatest threat. And that threat includes our southern border. Time to close the border!
A top Pakistani Taliban commander took credit for yesterday’s failed car bomb attack in New York City.
Qari Hussain Mehsud, the top bomb maker for the Movement of the Taliban in Pakistan, said he takes “fully responsibility for the recent attack in the USA.” Qari Hussain made the claim on an audiotape accompanied by images that was released on a YouTube website that calls itself the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan News Channel.
The tape has yet to be verified, but US intelligence officials contacted by The Long War Journal believe it is legitimate. The Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan News Channel on YouTube was created on April 30. Officials believe it was created to announce the Times Square attack, and Qari Hussain’s statement was pre-recorded.
All indications are the tape is legitimate. YouTube has pulled the video and shut down the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan News Channel since this article was published.
I agree with Uncle J – it takes a foreign newspaper, the London Telegraph, who is not afraid of the PC police to tell the truth – this was an act of terror and the car was parked in front of the NYC Viacom offices.
One final observation: I just saw B-Ho on TV talking about the oil spill in the Gulf. He EMPHATICALLY stated at least 3 times that it was “BP” who is responsible, and that “BP will pay for this.” I wonder if he will make the same statement about this bombing attempt in Times Square, and state the Islamic Jihadists will “pay for this”? I won’t hold my breath.