Okay, so this is a re-post from April of 2006, but it could not be more relevant nor time sensitive, given the fact that the democrats are all saying “not in my backyard!” about drilling for our own natural resources. Bravo for President Bush today for putting the call out for more exploration in our own country – a call long overdue.
I have seen very few sites that have stated the case for ANWR more than the ANWR homepage itself. But, they have a new slick, very informative and compelling flashmovie, Narrated by a Native Inupiat Eskimo from that area. His name is Fenton Rexford, from Kaktovik, Alaska. I truly can’t improve on the website’s content, so I’m just going to share some of it with you here. I do urge you, however, to visit the site and look around.
Here’s a bit about the local support:
Organizations representing the residents of the Coastal Plain and surrounding area such as the City of Kaktovic, Kaktovik Inupiat Corporation, North Slope Borough, Arctic Slope Regional Corp., Doyon Regional Corporation and Alaskan Federation of Natives have all endorsed development based on their experience with Prudhoe Bay.
There are also facts to predict strong jobs growth; not just for Alaska, but for the entire United States.
ANWR.org has their OWN “Top 10,” and I think they’re worth considering:
TOP 10 REASONS TO SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT IN ANWR
1. Only 8% of ANWR Would Be Considered for Exploration: Only the 1.5 million acre or 8% on the northern coast of ANWR is being considered for development. The remaining 17.5 million acres or 92% of ANWR will remain permanently closed to any kind of development. If oil is discovered, less than 2000 acres of the over 1.5 million acres of the Coastal Plain would be affected. ThatÂ¹s less than half of one percent of ANWR that would be affected by production activity.
2. Revenues to the State and Federal Treasury: Federal revenues would be enhanced by billions of dollars from bonus bids, lease rentals, royalties and taxes. Estimates on bonus bids for ANWR by the Office of Management and Budget and the Department of Interior for the first 5 years after Congressional approval are 4.2 billion dollars.
3. Jobs To Be Created: Between 250,000 and 735,000 ANWR jobs are estimated to be created by development of the Coastal Plain.
4. Economic Impact: Between 1977 and 2004, North Slope oil field development and production activity contributed over $50 billion to the nations economy, directly impacting each state in the union.
5. America’s Best Chance for a Major Discovery: The Coastal Plain of ANWR is America’s best possibility for the discovery of another giant “Prudhoe Bay-sized” oil and gas discovery in North America. U.S. Department of Interior estimates range from 9 to 16 billion barrels of recoverable oil.
6. North Slope Production in Decline: The North Slope oil fields currently provide the U.S. with nearly 16% of it’s domestic production and since 1988 this production has been on the decline. Peak production was reached in 1980 of two million barrels a day, but has been declining to a current level of 943,000 barrels a day.
7. Imported Oil Too Costly: In 2004 the US imported an average of 58% of its oil and during certain months up to 64%. That equates to over $150 billion in oil imports and over $170 billion including refined petroleum products. That’s $19.9 million dollars an hour! Including defence costs the number would be nearly a trillion dollars.
8. No Negative Impact on Animals: Oil and gas development and wildlife are successfully coexisting in Alaska ‘s arctic. For example, the Central Arctic Caribou Herd (CACH) which migrates through Prudhoe Bay has grown from 3000 animals to its current level of 32,000 animals. The arctic oil fields have very healthy brown bear, fox and bird populations equal to their surrounding areas.
9. Arctic Technology: Advanced technology has greatly reduced the ‘footprint” of arctic oil development. If Prudhoe Bay were built today, the footprint would be 1,526 acres, 64% smaller.
10. Alaskans Support: More than 75% of Alaskans favor exploration and production in ANWR. The Inupiat Eskimos who live in and near ANWR support onshore oil development on the Coastal Plain.
If anybody can present a cogent argument to me to refute this veritable gold-mine, I invite you to do so – but please bring facts and ammunition. I will not debate with an intellectually unarmed idiot.
P.S. ANWR is not the total answer… but it is a necessary start.